What to Look for when Hiring a Contractor (plus profiles on 3 Los Angeles Contractors!) November 30, 2017
Never worked with a contractor or builder before? Following our post on what to look for in an interior designer, we’ve got some more tips for you on what to look for when hiring a building contractor onto your job. We also introduce you to some Los Angeles builders working in and around Sherman Oaks (where we have a design office!) who are making the remodeling process look easy.
Beginning a residential remodeling project is no easy feat and requires some serious planning. Although we are involved throughout the entire process from initial design brainstorming through final installation, there is only so much that an interior designer can do! This is where your contractor comes in.
Here are our expert tips on what to look for when hiring a contractor:
- A contractor with a booked schedule is a good sign – it is not uncommon to wait 6 months or more for a competent builder.
- The contractor should have a complete portfolio with similar projects to the one that you are considering, and should be able to give you references if requested.
- They should be willing to provide you with a detailed, complete estimate. (Don’t forget that when comparing bids, make sure each one contains the same items like materials estimate and scope of work to be completed.)
- Some contractors will charge a small fee to bid your project – we think this is fair considering how much time goes into producing a thorough bid. They are often walking their subcontractors through the home and having them bid as well (this will also explain why a thorough bid may take a few weeks to complete).
- Look for a contractor who takes notes, asks questions, and listens carefully to your answers.
- Your contractor should communicate with you at least weekly throughout the project and should tell you how they will do so – will there be weekly e-mails, a client portal where you can see progress photos, or a weekly on-site meeting with you?
- Finally, the contractor should be licensed. In the state of California, it’s required. You can verify a license here.
The following Los Angeles companies are excellent examples of what to look for in a building contractor. Have a look at their portfolios and start planning your dream remodel today!
Modaa Construction’s key values are care, craftsmanship and cooperation. With a strong attention to detail, high level of transparency, knowledge and commitment from their entire team of builders, craftsmen, and carpenters, we can see why Modaa Construction has risen to the top.
Boswell Construction strives to provide clients with the utmost in service and accuracy, before, during, and after the project. They are dedicated to developing partnerships with their clients through the identification of individual needs and the delivery of a seamless process to address each need. They are committed to providing the highest value and expert guidance to their customers, partners and communities.
Osborne Building Corporation delivers every time through disciplined project management, cutting-edge technology, and experience in all aspects of construction. Since opening their doors in 2004, they have built custom homes of every size and complexity while finding creative solutions to the most complex construction projects. From conception to completion, they handle all your building needs regardless of the project type.