5 Ways to Turn Your Home into a Luxurious Staycation
Fluffy bedding, top-notch amenities, and guaranteed relaxation? There’s nothing quite like those feel-good vacation vibes. (Assuming you know how to relax…) If only there was a way we could bring that blissful feeling home, right?
Oh wait…that’s literally what we do year ‘round. No, we may not be tying hammocks in your trees or bringing you mai tais, but we do make sure your home supports good old R&R. And I’m confident you can do it, too.
This week, I’m sharing 5 of our best design strategies for making many of your daily worries melt away, and stay there. After all, isn’t that what vacation is really about?
1. Create Practical Organization for Daily Ease
Don’t run! I know organizing isn’t the sexiest topic, and probably not one you would think of when designing a staycation. But hear me out…
One of the major benefits of taking a trip is leaving behind the stress and chaos of daily life. Who enjoys spending time constantly looking for misplaced items? Not here. Who likes living in clutter? Nope. Who wants to live in a space that they go to battle with every time guests come over? Pass.
Here’s what you can do instead:
- Purge, purge, purge. Anything that doesn’t have a purpose or inspire a happy memory can go.
- Analyze your routine and write down where you need what. Shoe storage by the entryway. Extra linens by the guest room. A credenza to store extra plates near the dining table. Etc.
- Corral items with baskets, bins, built-ins, and case goods so that everything has a place. No, they won’t stay there all the time (thanks, kids), but it will go a long way toward an easier daily routine.
2. Designate Space for In-Home Relaxation
My favorite moments while spending unforgettable time away? Appreciating a sunset, cozying into a quiet reading corner, and sinking into a spa-like personal retreat. Who says we can’t enjoy these things from the comfort of our own homes?
And trust me, after spending hours in traffic or playing taxi for your kids, you’ll be thankful to have these stress-melting amenities at your fingertips.
Step 1: Look for areas around your home that can be transformed into a personal retreat. Have a window with an amazing view? Grab comfortable seating and create a tech-free cozy reading nook. Want to level up your bathroom? Consider luxury finishes like a steam shower, bidet, and stand-out tile and fixtures.
Step 2: Then, stock it full of everything you need — and don’t forget to consider all 5 senses. Depending on the space, you could include your favorite skincare products, fluffy towels, a speaker for music, scented candles, essential oils, etc.
3. Create an Inviting Kitchen
Scandi Modern Project | Photographer: Vivian Johnson
It’s no secret that vacationing involves dining well. Whether it’s brunch at The Four Seasons, enjoying the local cuisine, or hiring a private chef to handle the cooking, sharing a meal is a time for bonding and enjoying family and friends. The best way to elevate your daily dining experience and bring these relaxed vibes into your home? A welcoming, fully-stocked kitchen.
- Freshen up your kitchen with new, inspiring color that you love
- Load up the pantry with food and snacks
- Trade dated dishware for a nice set that makes you smile when you (or the kids) set the table
- Add a soft Roman shade over the sink to make the space more inviting
- And of course, if you really need a major overhaul in this space, we’ve got you covered.
4. Amp Up the Comfort & Durability
Photographer: David Duncan Livingston
One of the luxuries of being on vacation is grabbing a glass of something good and settling into a comfy spot with no worries in sight. But, to bring this feeling home, we can’t spend time micromanaging our white sofa or fussy flooring. The truth is, sofas are meant to be lounged on, and rugs are meant to be walked on.
The solution? Selecting comfortable, durable, and easy-to-maintain finishes that stand up to the fun. Instead of having a home where everything is “off-limits,” allow your space to be usable by choosing hearty finishes that look amazing and clean up well. Here are a few suggestions…
- Flooring: LVP (luxury vinyl plank) and these easy-to-maintain rugs.
- Countertops: Durable quartz for no staining, etching, or worries.
- Furniture: Performance fabrics for stain-resistance and easy clean-up.
- Linens: Get yourself that luxury, buttery-soft set that takes you back to the Ritz. (Yep, it’s time.)
- Outdoors: Comfortable and durable outdoor furniture for treasured moments around the fire.
5. Embrace the Fun!
This one should be obvious. When you’re vacationing with family and friends, it’s a time to let loose and have fun. (Or at least give it your best try.) But there is no reason for the fun to end when the wheels hit the tarmac.
So, in addition to everything mentioned above, consider creating a spacious area for games, puzzles, and entertainment. By incorporating all the right elements, you’ll be on your way to slipping into vacay mode every time the clock strikes Saturday.
Need help creating your staycation?
We’re here for you. Our Online Design Service will provide everything you need – floor plans, mood boards, materials, furnishing selections, shopping links, and more – to create your very own vacation-worthy home. When you’re ready, you can get started here. We can’t wait to meet you.